Thursday, April 13, 2006

What A Wonderful Way To Spend A Rainey Afternoon


Yesterday Maria and I went to the very first "Senior Showcase Talent Show" held in the beautiful Castro Theather. The ceiling is all brass and copper with hand engraved markings on each piece. Along the walls were colums of cherbus, comedy and drama. A spectacluar chandelier hangs from the center of the ceiling. The seats are loudres, they are from the 40's (I think) red cordoroy. We decided to sit in the balcony . Ya know from the balcony of a theather you get a thrown at you persective. I personally liked it when we were on the main floor , but that's just me. The house was packed , truly standing room only. The event was put on by all the different senior clubs in the city, anyone wanting to do a number could get up and perform. There were a lot of sponsors that helped pull this event off. The progam began with a group of people singing "76 Trombones", then a Lady and her "Other Half"(but she was both halfves came up and sang a duet, "My Endless Love", pretty funny. Then a Magican, a comedian, tap dancer, a tribute to China town, A Japanese Red Latern Song and Dance, oh it just went on for two hours, my favorite was the Japanese Lady with the red ribbon flags swirling then all around while the young girl did a sword dance. Durring the intermission there was a Jazz Band made up of famous musicians that had played with the Big Bands of Swing. Then A Chinese couple came out and did a Chinese Tango. It was too much fun. When it was over and we all exited the theather the rain had stopped and it was a beautiful day.

9 comments:

Ellen said...

I love old theatres like his one, because it holds so much architectural detail. We have one in Atlanta called "The Fox Theatre" and I love going there to see plays. The ceiling is dark blue with stars, so it looks like you are watching a perfromance under a starlit night.

So glad you had a chance to get away and enjoy a few hours of fun!
Nothing better for the soul is there?

Skye said...

I'm still giggling about the show. Hi! Sherry. It was fun.

Michelle said...

Sounds like the perfect way to spend a rainy day :o)

Skye said...

Hi Michelle, yes it was fantastic.

Skye said...

Ellen I have forgoten why but I have been to the Fox Theather, we rode the train up The Nancy Hanks from Macon to Atlanta, ok so I was in the first grade. LOL!!!

Jenn said...

Chinese Tango made me giggle.

Lovely theatre!

Skye said...

OH MY GQWD! JENN! HI! :)

Josh said...

How fun. That theater is georgeous. I lovep places with charecter.

The Thinking Man's Babe said...

What a cool program! They should do something like that in the Twin Cities! Would make a great benefit...sounded like a great time!