Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Halloween Story

It was late October, the Saturday before Halloween. My best friend Gilbert and his sister Marsha and I had decided to go and check out the old Fields House. No one had lived in that house for years, the yard was overgrown with weeds and the fence was in serious need of repair. We got on our bikes and dicussed how we would approach the house. Marsha had a pink schwinn with a bell, and her brother Gilbert had a red one with a horn , flags and baseball cards in the spokes. Mine was just a plain old bike with with tires that had real gas station air in them. We rolled backed in forth in the driveway plotting out our path and decided who would go up to the house first. My dog Ribsy, ( as I was a big fan of Beverbly Cleary books) was catching a sun napp while awaiting the call to "Let's Ride". Gilbert was doing the math, why was beyond me the way I saw it was either let's go or don't go. Gilbert was a genius . Meanwhile Marsha had gotten off her bike and began picking my Mom's Forget Me Not's. I looked over at her and asked her not to do that as my Mom would kill me later when she found out. Gilbert announced that he had the map drawn up and this is the way we should go. I took one look at the map and threw it back at him. It took you that long to figure out that we leave the driveway and go up the street cut thru the baseball park and go over the railroad tracks and circle around the block to the back yard? Marsha shhh me and got on her bike;"Let's go". Marsha took the middle and Gilbert and I were on the outsides, Ribsy ran ahead of us. We reached the backyard to the Fields House and stopped dead in our tracks.
( TO BE CONTINUED)

2 comments:

Ellen said...

See any ghosts?

Love the picture, by the way...

Skye said...

hehehe, maybe.. stay tuned :)